Tuesday, January 6, 2009

One hour and forty-four minutes


Yup. That's how long I endured Carson's crying this evening before he finally went to sleep. Don't worry - I didn't just ignore him. I checked on him every 10-15 minutes and tryed soothing him by giving back his pacifier he'd spit out and humming two verses of "I Am A Child of God." Let's just say he wasn't interested in either of those, and just screamed even louder! Now I'm exhausted and ready to sleep myself! I am quite surprised I didn't give in by picking him up and rocking him to sleep (which is what we've been doing for several weeks now, and even that method is met with resistance). But I told myself that we have to have a better sleep schedule so that I can actually function better each day. For the past 3 months now, I dread every morning because while Danny is leaving for work about 8:20am, I'm usually crawling back into bed trying to get some more sleep after dealing with Carson all through the night...okay, and from all the day before too...and the day before that :) Then when the Little Man wakes up, I anxiously await for an hour or two to pass for when he'll fall asleep again so I can go back to bed too! I'll be honest and say I'm not very productive before 1pm. Unfortunately, Carson's daytime naps tend to be only 30 minutes long (although all the books say they should be about 1-2 hours!), which doesn't give me anytime to get things done around the house. And then by the time I do actually lay down, it's only a brief 10 minutes later he's crying and awake and we start all over again! So it's time to kick things in gear, and start off the New Year with some good habits :) Hopefully tomorrow night will be less crying.

7 comments:

Sister Johnson said...

Poor Lachelle :( I know it stinks to try to get those habits in place... but they are worth it!! Last night Sam slept 7 hours straight! Can you believe it? I couldn't either! I kept waking up to check on him to make sure he was still ok, so I didn't sleep that whole time... go figure!

Liz said...

I'm sorry. I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't. We thought Morgan had her sleeping and eating down to a schedule, but of course now she's changed it on us. I guess that's what happens when they're growing so much.

Marily said...

Aaah, but look at how beautiful he looks while he's sleeping. Let us know how it goes. Keep it up--you will all be much happier when he's sleeping better.

Carrie Medford said...

Endure the crying--my kids started sleeping through the night once I let them cry themselves to sleep. It's so worth it!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

sorry.. that Sister Johnson comment was from me, signed onto another blog of mine!

The Neerings Family said...

You do what you need to do to help Carson get a schedule, there's nothing wrong with that! And you'll know when he's crying because of something else besides he's just fighting sleep. Every time someone told me I'd recognize the cries, I didn't believe it...but it happens and I'm sure you're there. Once they can self soothe and get themselves to sleep, it's heaven! Trust me! :o)

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

It will get better... I promise!