Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I [Heart] Budgeting

I know it sounds crazy. Who in their right mind loves to do budgeting? Well, I didn't until recently. See, I found this program over a year ago called PearBudget, which was basically a glorified Excel spreadsheet. And if anyone really knows me, they know I have a little love affair with spreadsheets (ok, probably just my husband really knows this). I do almost ANYTHING with spreadsheets (schedules, grocery list, calendars, weight loss tracking w/ bar graphs & charts, etc.). But even for me, the PearBudget spreadsheet system was still intimidating & confusing. And this is only 1 screenshot of many more pages.

OLD PearBudget

Now, say hello to the NEW PearBudget

Clean. Concise. Pretty to look at. This online system is so simple to use, I fell in love within the first few minutes. I did a 30-day free trial and couldn't be happier with how easy it is to keep track of all my spending, and see areas where I overspend (see "clothing" above. Disclaimer: the above is also not my real budget. If only I had so few bills!) The best part is I didn't have to program all the calculations in each little cell of a spreadsheet like I used to. Just grab my receipts, enter them in, "tag" each expense (this is probably my most favorite feature) and I'm done! Budgeting made simple in 3 easy steps: Plan. Enter. Review. Who doesn't want to have a more simple life? :) Happy Budgeting!

1 comment:

Pace & Gwen said...

BElieve it or not I [heart] budgeting too - not that I've done it since we moved to no income land... Funny, usually you'd think that's when you need a budget the most! ha Anyway, I actually made up an excel spreadsheet budget (all professional looking, I really get into it too, crazy) when I was 20 working at the bank. I think it's the organizers in us!! Way to go, the program seems like a fun toy I'd get into as well...